As you are aware HOVAR raises around €30,000 per year through the efforts of many people who give considerable amounts of their time entirely free of charge. Everyone appreciates the fantastic work Jacquie and Roy do. However, Roy and Jacquie are paid by HOVAR at commercial rates to run the kennels. The facts are as follows.
- When HOVAR was given notice by the previous provider of kennelling services Jacquie and Roy actively lobbied HOVAR to be allowed to run the kennels on their land and an agreement was reached which has operated successfully for the last 18 months.
- The kennels built on Jacquie and Roy’s land was paid for entirely by HOVAR and private donations. Jacquie and Roy did not contribute anything to the costs which were around €5,000
- All food, running expenses, vets bills, transport etc relating to the kennels are met directly by HOVAR.
- In addition to expenses, Jacquie and Roy are paid €450 per month as a fee to run the kennels. Roy and Jacquie have received around €8,000 in payment in total for the work they have done over and above expenses. (It should be noted that the monthly payment to Jackie and Roy is actually slightly higher than that paid to the previous kennels.)
- It should also be noted that this funding continues, in fact Roy collected his latest payment of €450 on Saturday 4th July.
Obviously this is a very difficult time for HOVAR. From a personal perspective, the HOVAR committee have found many of the statements made in recent weeks extremely hurtful, misleading and distressing. However, the primary concerns of the HOVAR committee are the continued welfare of the animals and to ensure that the hard earned money so generously donated to the charity is spent appropriately.
There are clearly a number of issues to be resolved, not least the licensing of the kennels.
Rest assured, the committee are determined to overcome these obstacles.
We would like to take this opportunity in thanking you for your continued support and we will keep you updated on further developments.
The HOVAR Committee.